|Total sodium per serving:|
|Total calories per serving:|
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans no sodium added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 no sodium added cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- Black pepper to taste
Toast the turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-low heat until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Stir the spices constantly as they toast, taking care that they do not burn. Stir in the olive oil, onion, garlic, and ginger.
Increase heat to medium, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste.
Add the chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken broth, wine vinegar, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, and the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes.
Remove the cover, and cook 5 minutes more to thicken slightly.
Serve over cooked basmati rice.